Last night was a great reminder of why I love running (and these two)!
My non-running friends call me crazy, but to me running (and the running culture) just makes sense.
1. I love running because it gives me an excuse to be selfish, to have “ME” time, to be alone with my thoughts (heck, I can just be alone and not think at all if I want).
2. It is free exercise: a free way to prevent muscle and bone loss, a free way to fight heart disease and cancer, a free way to maintain my general health. Did I mention it was free?
3. I can use running as a time socialize and meet new friends or catch up and share advice and perspectives with old friends. There is nothing better than doing something you love with individuals who also share the same passion for fitness, healthy living, the outdoors… OH and of course beer.
4. It gives me an excuse to imbibe…whether it is on a frivolous running top from Lululemon or on an extra pumpkin chocolate chip cookie, I say you only live once, right?
5. I can use running to promote change. This will be my third year running the Boston Marathon for the Dana Farber Cancer institute. Every dollar my teammates and I raise supports the Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research, which funds the brightest, most creative scientists making basic research discoveries. http://www.rundfmc.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=1039390&supid=253769928